Monday 20 January 2014

Beating Those Blues!

During January I find myself feeling glum, the month drags by and everyones already had more than enough of drinking and partying as well as spending all their hard earned cash. Sometimes little things can make a massive difference to my moods, here's a few things I do to cheer myself up.



Go for a walk. Come rain or shine a stroll with some music is an easy effective way to beat sitting in on your own as well as being good exercise. I usually walk my dogs along the seafront as I live right next to the beach. Maybe borrow a dog if you don't have one, sounds hilarious but yep, I used to ask if I could walk peoples dogs so I didn't have to walk alone. I use apps to measure my walks and it's good to see how many calories you've burned as well as pushing me to want to do more.



Get creative. I have many a craft in my magic box under my bed! I make jewellery and cross stitch when I have the time, cross stitch is probably the cheaper hobby of the two as we all know most of us have spent all our pennies at Christmas all you need is a needle, threads and some aida and you can either print off patterns online, make your own or buy pre made patterns at local craft stores, there's tonnes of tutorials online as well so you can really learn all you need off the internet and not only is it a brilliant hobby they make awesome gifts. I got a cake pop maker for Christmas two years ago and it was so much fun making them so even baking a cake to give to someone (or for yourself) is a bit of fun that is usually super cheap!



Pamper yourself. With all those goodies you get for Christmas take a long soak and de stress with a facemask and a film, I always take my laptop or iPad and watch something while I give myself some TLC. There's nothing like a hot bath then into clean sheets either! Paint your nails, groom your brows, give yourself a homemade face mask or hair treatment too!



Invite some people round. It saves unnecessary spending while out and ditch the diet for one evening! My boyfriend and I always fuss over dinner and I don't like paying for take away mainly because I'm dieting and don't want to ruin my chances and £30 on pizza isn't my idea of money well spent but if you do fancy some naughty food check for deals & coupons online as you can save a lot of money! Or invite your pals round or head to theirs and make a bad ass dinner between you, my boyfriends mum & dad made this amazing paella for us and my brother and sister in law. It was soooo good, she also made these.Nutella and filo pastry rolls and I've never been more in love. A very cheap and easy treat too! (NOT so diet friendly! haha)



Check out the free museums & attractions. I live an hour and a half from central London but if I book a ticket online at least 3 days in advance I get my ticket for £5-£10 instead of £16-£29 so for a fiver I can go to London for the day, go to the attractions, meet friends and get a little cultured.
My pal, Jess and I went to the Science Museum and the V&A and had the funnest day being tourists, it doesn't need to cost a bomb to go out for the day, if you're seriously on a budget take a packed lunch!

I hope that helped and gave you some inspiration to keep yourself occupied there's a whole bunch of other free and cheap things you can do to wash away your winter blues. Let me know what you do to keep yourself from going stir crazy during these boring months!

9 comments:

  1. Aaaawww I remember that day! And visiting the Disney Store ;) teehee.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We need more adventures!! Our Tunics look so fetch! x

      Delete
  2. Hi! I forget just where I found you but man I'm glad I did. I've been looking around your blog and just adore it. I am suffering from an epic case of winter blues and this post helped. :) Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh hello, thanks for following me! I'm glad to have helped, Nice to meet you too! x

      Delete
  3. Also love walks regardless of weather! Of course it's been -30 here lately and a girl's gotta have a limit, but these are good ideas. January and February suck :)
    PS- where is your blog template from? The layout is perfect and I can't find anything that isn't from 1998.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. -30 Thats crazy!! Ohh I made it by deconstructing what was here from 2010 I think! I just read a lot of tutorials on other blogs http://thecutestblogontheblock.com/category/tutorials has lots of things! Hope that helps xo

      Delete
  4. Nothing beats a good pamper, when the weather is dire and you are feeling low.
    I'm currently enjoying sewing inappropriate things in cross-stitch, because it makes me laugh. For example, "That's What She Said."
    Keep up the blogging! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cross stitching is such a super way of writing rude things while still making it look cute! haha xo

      Delete
  5. Great post! I love going for a walk when I'm feeling down!

    www.fashionsontop.com

    ReplyDelete