Wednesday 14 May 2014

Misconceptions | What People Think Of Me.

I'm no stranger to being stopped in the street for someone to ask about my hair, tattoos, piercing or tumblr blog and its always nice to be told your look or something you're doing is awesome but so many people have misconceptions about the way I look and sometimes it can be really offensive!
Walking into a bar and seeing scores of girls/guys whispering about you because you're in a classy bar and you 'don't belong' is really intimidating. I've been insulted on numerous occasions and I don't think people realise they're doing it.

First up, my hair. An Ariel-esque colour hair is obviously going to attract some looks but going as far as people grabbing me in the street? It really happens.


'Who does your hair?!' 
Well, I do! When I tell people this they look at me as if I'm lying. Also tugging at it isn't going to make me a happy bunny so please don't.
'How do you get it so red?'
THE BLOOD OF MY ENEMIES, ahhaha no. I'm not a hairdresser and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out that your hair needs to be lightened then dyed using your desired hair colour but when people ask me this question I think they assume I have to go through a magical process done by a unicorn to get to the almighty red! I really don't, it's as simple as it sounds and if you're too scared or don't want to do it yourself most hair professionals will. 

'you must spend a lot of money on hair dye'
That can depend. If I maintain my hair properly using directions in my conditioner its fine, I don't need to bleach my hair a lot only my roots every few months. A pot of directions can rage between £2.99 and £4.99 so it's not as expensive as people may think but the upkeep is one hell of a struggle.

'Do you have a job?! or Are you a student?!' 
Funnily enough I am a normal functional member of society, my hair and look doesn't mean I can't work or that I'll kill your children. My tattoos however mean that I will... Not really guys! 
I applied for my job and was interviewed with bright red hair and tattoos some what on show, my boss is cool and just took my appearance as is and didn't discriminate against me. I, 1000% have been looked at or spoken to like crap because of my hair colour/appearance, I'm just lucky my boss is equally as open minded as I am.
Secondly on to tattoos and piercings... 

'OMG I LOVE YOUR TATTOOS'
This is fine I will talk to you as much as possible about all of mine and your tattoos, grabbing my arm, grabbing at my leg, slapping my back however is not. I wouldn't come up to you and grab your earring and yank it so why the hell you think you can touch me is beyond me. I'm more than happy to talk to you and let you touch my arm etc but you wouldn't just grab a total stranger so why do it to me!
'What are you going to look like when you're older?!' 
Well a colourful grandma? I don't think I'll be strutting around in a bikini when I'm 90 so why would I care, currently I love the way my tattoos and piercings look and I can't imagine it'll change. When I'm 'older' I'm gonna be one cool grandma!

'Bet boys don't like it/you'll never get a boyfriend like that/you look butch'
Funnily enough I didn't get tattooed or pierced or even dye my hair for boys or for you. I do it for me, I like the way tattoos and body modification looks on people so if you don't want to date me then don't. I wouldn't want to date a shallow butt head anyway so ner. 
And the worst one that isn't even related to being 'alternative' or 'different' and I'm sure 100's of us suffer..
It's funny how people perceive me to be, most people think I want to be noticed because I'm colourful or that I'm super outgoing, I hate the world, I'm an evil devil worshipper or that I'm plain crazy. 
I'm a normal person but I express myself by changing my hair, getting tattooed or pierced, same as some people have different nail colours or wear bright clothing. I don't want any 'extra' attention and I do everything for myself and I think people should think twice before assuming someone's a certain way because of how they look. I myself have been guilty of doing it and pre judging but as I'm growing older I've realised most people are harmless even if they're burly, covered in tattoos and look angry. A smile is infectious and I'm sure it would make someones and my day to start a conversation with a smile instead of 'your tattoos are weird, why have you got a teapot on your arm?' while being grabbed.
Have you ever felt prejudice because of how you look? Do you think you act and feel differently because of how someone looks?

Youtube | Instagram | Twitter | Bloglovin
(Images sourced from the internet and are not mine, no copyright infringement intended.)

12 comments:

  1. Don't judge a book by its cover, that's why I always say! I'd never judge someone by the colour of their hair haha!

    Vicky xx
    Lots of Love, Me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Obviously we all do it sometimes, but it's ridiculous to judge someone on how they look. If you don't like someone's tattoos, piercing or hair colour, great nobody asked you to. The word would be a much nicer place If people kept their options to themselves, unless asked for it. Is it really that hard to do?
    Such a good post, very relatable.
    I only have a small nose stud and top ear piercing on show and I have to take them out for work, it's stupid and slightly annoying...x
    liannabell.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been that person before who asks "What hair dye do you use? Do you bleach it? I want my hair to be that colour it's so cool!" and have gotten some creeped out looks from people haha I absolutely hate it when people say "but what are you going to do when you're older" about my tattoos. They're there for a reason and I knew they would be there forever when I got them so I clearly thought about it! Stop annoying me about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to say I found this hilarious, in the past I've had people say similar things to me.
    Great post

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm doing a whole art project on not judging a book by it's cover. I think I'll post about it when it's done because it's really coming on. It's shocking to think people actually do this but I loved the post it was very different and a breath of fresh air... There you go grabbing the attention of others for being different ;) good on you I say :)

    www.sophalou.blogspot.co.uk

    Sophie xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I definitely agree with the bitchface thing, I ALWAYS get told to 'smile/cheer up!' I am FINE, I just don't want to walk around with a bloody grin on my face. I get a fair few questions when people find out about my bag- mostly 'omg, do you even have sex?!' or the classic 'i'd rather die than have a colostomy' well fuck yooou.
    I am glad your boss was cool about everything, I've had jobs in the past where they haven't been so nice about it xox

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this, I work in retail and I am constantly being grabbed/pushed/whistled/poked at and it drives me crazy. People soon realise that they shouldn't have done that, with my bitch face :')

    Sian | Siân Marie Beauty
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. YES to all of this! I have a particularly bad case of chronic bitchface hahaha! I promise I am usually very friendly but my non-smiling face would suggest otherwise. PS I think your hair and tats look amazing and anybody who thinks less of people with coloured hair or tattoos are big stupid dummies.

    Kirsten | kirstenlearns.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely post! Thanks for sharing! Would you like to follow each other on GFC, facebook and bloglovin to stay in touch? Let me know, thanks!

    xx,
    www.mellowyellowblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this, the reaction i first got from having tattoos in places that are visible is ridiculous. Don't judge a book by its cover! I think you look lovely, haters gunna hate!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved this post, very relevant to how a lot of people (including myself) feel! I very much wish people were less judgmental too.
    Becca
    liberalfemocrat.com
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so glad I stumbled upon your blog. This post is great, very amusing and it had me nodding along to quite a lot of it. A new subby here :)
    www.thevegantaff.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete